1. Preheat your oven to 175°C/ 350°F with the fan on.
2. Make a 'buttermilk' by mixing apple cider vinegar or lemon juice with the soy milk. Let it rest for 5 minutes to curdle and thicken.
3. Add brown sugar, melted coconut oil, vanilla and spices.
4. Add the buckwheat flour and mix well.
5. Fold in the shredded carrots and walnuts until well incorporated.
6. At the last minutes before putting the cake into the tin, add the baking powder so it only activates when it's baking.
7. Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined or well greased 9-inch cake pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke it into the middle of the cake.
8. Let it cool completely before cutting. Use any frosting of your choice. Here I used some vanilla cream to balance out the aromatic spices in the cake.