As a child one of my favorite desserts was coconut macaroon and as time passed and I finally found the Vegan way, I had to say goodbye to these little guys as they are full of sugar and egg whites. Luckily, I came up with something that not only replaces it, but is a much healthier and nutritious treat. These pancakes taste almost exactly the same and possibly taste even better because berries make everything taste awesome!
Coconut pancakes with berry jam
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 15
- 6 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 150 ml unsweetened soy milk (or other plant based milk of choice)
- 1-2 drops of vanilla
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Pour the flour, baking powder, coconut flakes, sugar, plant based milk, vanilla and 1 tbsp chia seeds to a bowl and mix everything well.
- Let the mixture set for 5-10 minutes, so that the chia seeds can absorb the liquid and the pancake batter can thicken up a bit.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter to a non-stick pan and cook both sides for about 2 minutes (or until slightly golden brown).
- Heat up the berries in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water.
- When the fruits are soft and juicy, mix in 1 tbsp chia seeds and let the mixture cool down.
- Make a stack out of the pancakes, top it with the berry jam, some coconut flakes and enjoy!